Monday, May 30, 2011

Pimento's

Name: Pimento’s
Address: 911 General Avenue NE
Hours of Operation: Wednesday – Sunday 4PM- 10PM

Intro: Pimento’s is in its second location, owner and chef Mario used to have a location on 9th St and 5 Ave. He decided that he wanted to try his hand at a food truck. So he closed up his restaurant and was traveling around Calgary in a food truck. That was very successful but the customers kept telling him that they missed having a place where they knew they could go to get his food. So he is back with a restaurant in Bridgeland but he still has the food truck, in fact he has two!
One of my coworkers is of Italian decent. She and I often spend time talking about Italian food and restaurants. She knows that I really like authentic Italian Pizza. The best Pizza I have ever had in my life was in Naples. She emailed me on Tuesday to tell me that she had just visited a Pizza place that I needed to try. I am not a very patient man and when I want something I always want it right away. I decided that I would try Pimento’s for lunch on Wednesday, well as you can see by the hours of operation no pizza for Chris on Wednesday! So Jenn and I decided to try it for dinner on Friday. It is a very small building and is easy to drive by. I could smell the pizza as we approached the building, it smelt awesome. Once you get into the restaurant there are basically two counters the one to the right is the prep table where Mario makes the dough and pizza. The one in front of you is where there are beverages and other items. Notice in the back left corner is where the gelato is, and in the back right corner is the oven.
The Food: The menu is broken down into three sections. You have pizza/flowers, meat cones and desserts. There are 17 different pizzas to choose from. There are the classics like the Marinara, Margherita, Cheese and Meat Lovers. There are only two sizes 12” or Personal (flower). The reason the personal pizza is called a flower is because it is shaped like a flower. Take a regular pizza dough and add a hollow cone at the bottom and that is how Mario serves his personal size pizza. Toppings on the top, sauce in the cone. I did not try one as I was looking for a bigger meal. I happen to know that he imported a tool from Italy to press the flower dough. The meat cones are exactly what they sound like, a cone full of delicious deli meats. The gelato menu is pretty straight forward; there are 12 flavouers to choose from. All the dough is made fresh, so the pizza dough, flower dough and cones are all made by Mario.
I had the full size Pimento which has Pomodoro, provolone, bocconcini, roasted red peppers, red onions, Pimento’s made in house Italian sausage. I thought that it was missing a pinch of salt and that it could have been cooked for about 3 minutes longer. The dough was not strong enough to support the toppings in the centre of the pizza. Fresh dough and ingredients make such a huge difference. The basil gave it real nice flavour and I would eat the sausage all day long.


The Price:  The price seems about average. The flowers range from $5-$8 and the full size pizzas are anywhere from $13-$17. I can’t remember the prices of the meat cones, and the gelato was $5. There seemed to only be the option to have the gelato in a cone. My pizza was $16.
The Service: The service was really good. Mario obviously knows a lot about pizza and the importance of fresh ingredients. We did not have cash on us but they still took or order and started making the pizza before we had paid, which I really appreciated.

Other Items of Note: There are a couple of items to note. They only accept cash (there is a 7-11 right beside which has an ATM). Chef Mario’s Enviro Discount – $1 off when you bring your own plate. There is no dine in option. Everything is intended for takeout. There are a couple of chairs to sit down in while he makes your pizza, but not to eat in. There are also no picnic tables outside to sit down in. We ended up eating ours in the car. On a nicer day we would have went down the block to sit on a bench by the park. Parking might be tough as well, my advice is to park in the two hour parking in the streets beside the restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment