Tuesday, May 31, 2011

E&O Trading Company Corn Fritters

Here is a recipe that I got from the E&O Trading Company restaurant while I was in San Francisco in March. Jenn and I went to the restaurant to try a specific appetizer, the corn fritters. We first saw the corn fritters on an episode of the best thing that I ever ate crunchy edition. We ordered this from the bar and we were chatting with the bartender and he offered to give us the recipe, I was quite surprised. That was the first time that I have ever been given a recipe from a restaurant. It is very good and was not greasy at all. I have yet to make this recipe, but I am planning to give it a go on Sunday June 5th.

Ingredients

·         4 cups fresh cut corn kernels
·         1/2 cup celery, small diced 1/4"
·         1/2 cup Green Onions, sliced 1/8" thick (including white part)
·         1 teaspoon of minced fresh garlic
·         1/2 cup all purpose flour
·         1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
·         2 eggs

Instructions



In a bowl, combine the corn, celery, green onion, flour and black pepper and mix well. Lightly beat the eggs. Combine with the vegetable mixture. Heat 2"-3" of oil in a wide deep pot to 350 degrees. Spoon the corn fritter mix into the hot oil. Using the back of the spoon coated with oil, press down onto the fritter to flatten. Cook until golden brown on one side and carefully flip over to cook the other side. Remove to drain excess oil onto paper napkins. Season with sea salt.
UPDATE: JUNE 12
I finally had time to try this recipe. The hardest part was trying to control the temperature of the oil. Another key part of this recipe is dont forget to salt the fritters when they are hot. That little bit of salt went a long way in the flavour of the fritters. I also decided to make a homemade spicy BBQ sauce. Below is the recipe.

Spicy BBQ Sauce

Ingredients

·         2 teaspoons dry mustard
·         2/3 cups apple cider vinegar
·         2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
·         1/2 cup chili powder
·         2/3 cup brown sugar
·         2 teaspoons salt
·         1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
·         2 medium onions diced

Instructions


In a saucepan combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil. Then add all the ingredients into a blender and blend for 5 minutes. Let cool before serving.


8 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say, i've been craving these ever since E&O closed, and I'm so glad you posted the recipe! They were super easy to make! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for these corn fritters for 10 years since I had them at E&O. Thank you so much for finding it and posting it

    ReplyDelete
  3. They forgot to tell you to add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. That is what separates what you had at the restaurant and your own result. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this recipe and have been using it for the past 5 yrs. It's my husband's favorite guilty pleasure that's not a sweet. Thank you so much for posting this!

    ReplyDelete